Friday, May 7, 2010

Books: Model Home, The Wind Up Bird Chronicle, Brava Valentine

Anyone else have a bad habit of giving up on a book halfway through? Think I'm about to do this for the 3rd time in a row now. Sometimes its because the book isn't any good & sometimes I just get distracted. These are the books I recently started & didn't finish:Model Home by Eric Puchner. This book was ok but I lost interest halfway through. It's about a family who's father took a big financial risk & ended up losing everything. The kids are a bit weird but nothing super interesting. I just didn't really care what happened to any of them.

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami. Now this is a good book, although kind of weird. It grabbed me right from the beginning. The only reason I didn't finish it was because it was a library book, one of several I borrowed at the same time. It was the 1st one I started not realizing how long it would take me to read. I started to get antsy and started one of the other books too & then I ran out of loan time. But I do plan on getting more of his books because I really did enjoy the parts of it I got to read.

Brava, Valentine by Adriana Trigiani. This is the book I'm currently reading & while I haven't quite decided if I'm going to give up on it yet, it's likely. I know this author has a loyal following but I just don't feel a connection with the main character.

I'm not sure whether this is a personal fault or if its a good thing that I don't spend time on things that don't hold my attention. I probably would've given up on The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo if the reviews weren't so good but I managed to stick it out & ended up really enjoying it. Maybe I'll just try harder with the popular, culturally important books & blame the authors for the rest. lol

No comments:

Post a Comment