Tuesday, June 1, 2010

How to Care for Biracial Hair

I have very straight hair so figuring out how to take care of my daughters hair was quite a challenge. She has 3b-c curls (http://www.naturallycurly.com/hair-types). Most advice for biracial hair doesn't work on her because her hair is very fine & not dry at all. Through trial and error and a lot of internet research, here's the routine and the products I use on her:

For starters I CO (conditioner-only) wash her hair. To CO wash, you first have to get a silicone-free conditioner (Suave & V05 are popular - I've found Suave is better for fine hair). You wet your hair & then apply generous amounts of conditioner to the roots & massage in (you can't apply too much. Use enough to make sure your hair is evenly coated). Let it sit for about 5 minutes or so. Rinse out really well. You can follow up w/a more intensive conditioner on the ends but for my DD, since her hair is so short & she throws a fit when I wash her hair, I skip the heavier conditioner & use a leave-in when she gets out of the tub.


I use Garnier leave-in conditioner on her hair. It helps get the knots out while combing too.


Then I apply one pump of Paul Mitchell Skinny Serum, which helps to tone down frizz.


Then I scrunch in some Herbal Essences Totally Touseled Mousse to give her curls some hold.

When I need to perk up her curls (they get messy very easily since she's a toddler) I use the following:

Johnson & Johnson's Detangler to help me get a comb through her hair (Note: I always use a wide tooth comb on her hair).


Then I use plenty of water to wet her hair to help it curl up again. If she's just wearing it natural (not pulled back) I might scrunch in the HE mousse or whatever gel I have on hand. If I'm pulling it back I use a boar-bristle brush like this:

The brush needs to be very densely bristled so that it has a smoothing effect. I usually use some gel (yes on dry hair but just a bit) to help it stay & not immediately get the "halo" look.

Now you obviously don't have to use the products I listed above. Most of them I already had on hand for myself (I'm a product whore) so its not like I went out & bought tons. But give this a try. Not all biracial hair is the same and putting tons of oil/grease in hair that doesn't need it is *not* a good look.

1 comment:

  1. sildenafil 20 mg for ed for ED lasts about four hours. It reaches peak concentrations in about an hour, so it's best to take it 30 to 60 minutes before sex. To treat erectile dysfunction-ED, take this drug by mouth as directed by your doctor, usually as needed.

    ReplyDelete