Friday, April 23, 2010

Magazine Review: Elle May 2010 - Fergie


To be honest, this issue was a bit of a letdown. Maybe because it was the Green Stars (eco-smart beauty) & Gold Awards issue (eco-innovators). Now don't get me wrong. I'm very pro-Earth, I try to do my part & I was raised in a home where we had diesel vehicles that had been converted to run on used vegetable oil. But all of these special sections w/eco-products are kind of annoying. Why do they have to make such a big deal about it? In the beauty recs, why can't they just include the eco products alongside their other product recs? And the same goes for fashion. It's like they think that the eco-products couldn't "compete" with the non-eco. And as far as the innovators go, I read Popular Science so anything in a fashion magazine is going to seem kinda petty compared to that (but it's great that so many people are working towards "saving the Earth"). Sorry, didn't mean to rant. Onto what was in this issue...
As far as Beauty, nothing really stoof out in the Green Stars section. The article Gold Standard was about "how to glow from head-to-toe" but there wasn't any new info in it. A few articles were about the psychology behind plastic surgery.
For Fashion, the Style A to Zee column was about how to edit your closet, beauty routine and makeup. I found a few cute pieces in this issue, namely some straw clutches, "country" wedges, etc but holy 90s revivial! Calico, a-line denim skirts, jean jackets. Doesn't sound too bad when I'm writing it out but once you see the pics you'll know what I mean.
In the Articles, they had an interview w/Sarah Silverman because of her new memoir The Bedwetter?. The article Everything is Illuminated, about how you & your friends influence each other, was quite interesting.
This is a magazine I normally enjoy but I just wasn't impressed this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment